Saturday, February 12, 2011

I know nothing about mahogany Chris Craft, let's get one!

It was a warmish, breezy day in April or May 2009.  It had to be breezy and warm because my friend (let's call him Double D) and I were going out sailing.  As we prepared his boat, he told me that the marina was trying to get rid of an old Chris Craft.  On the way out, he pointed it out to me, and I saw just enough to know that it had some interesting lines.  It immediately reminded me of a hot rod; a jaunty visor over the short windshield.  My view was occluded though, and I did not see the whole boat until we returned.  Once I got another look at the boat, I realized my first view had been of the bow and the first 2 feet of the cabin.  The "windshield" I had seen was actually the forward windows of the cabin, and I was surprised to find it extended quite a bit further, perhaps another 6 foot of cabin, and 6 or 8 more for the cockpit and aft deck.


I was pretty excited about the boat in question, and when I got home naturally I discussed it with my girlfriend.  We agreed to have another look at the boat, and I did some searching on the internet to try and figure out what make, model and year we were considering.  I contacted a boat transport guy and discussed the dismal level of the lake.  All of this contemplation led us into August 2009, the lowest levels Lake Travis had seen since before the boat was constructed!  Little did we know a big surprise awaited us...

No comments:

Post a Comment